Game 88 | 48-40, 1st : It’s never over until it’s over in Fenway, and the Yankees held on to a 4-run 9th inning lead with the tying run at the plate. The difference in the final score turned out to be a dramatic blast over the Green Monster by Rob Refsynder.
Here’s the box score, full recap, and video highlights.
Yankees 8, Red Sox 6
[custom_list icon=”thumbs-o-up” iconcolor=”#014284″]
- Rob Refsynder A day this young man will remember forever. He now has a major league batting average, his first career home run (over the famous Green Monster, no less) — and John Sterling home run call of his own: “Rob Refsynder has Seoul!” His first career hit came in the top of the 7th inning off Boston reliever Tommy Layne, a solid line drive single to center.
- Brian McCann The catcher opened the scoring with a big shot to right-center in the second inning with Mark Teixeira on first, his 14th of the season and good for 2-0 lead which starter Nathan Eovaldi promptly gave back. McCann also scored on a Wade Miley balk in the 5th inning.
- Alex Rodriguez A-Rod continues his clutch hitting, rocketing an RBI double in the 6th inning, giving the Yankees a 4-3 lead.
- Chase Headley Good day at the plate, going 2-3 with a walk and RBI.
- Bullpen & Defense Thanks to a few fluke hits and a throwing error by Andrew Miller, the game got real interesting in the bottom of the 9th. Not a lights out performance by any of the pitchers today, but they got the big outs when they had to. Regardless, the Yankees are 37-2 when holding a lead after 6 innings, a testament to the overall effectiveness of the bullpen.
“That’s about all I got, I don’t have much power. Felt good off the bat. It was a ball out over the plate with two strikes. I was fortunate enough to run into it, and a pretty cool venue to do it.” ‐ Rob Refsynder