BOMBERS SEEK TO RESTART THE MOJO AGAINST VISITING BRAVES
The Braves franchise has been around since 1871, went though 7 name changes and 3 cities — Boston, Milwaukee and finally Atlanta. They have 3 World Series titles, 36 division titles and 2 Wild Card berths on their lengthy resumé.
Tonight they enter The Bronx holding down second place in the National League East with an 11-6 mark. The Braves are coming off splitting a 4-game set over the weekend in Philadelphia.
One angle to consider for this 2-game interleague set is the universal DH rule put in for the 2020 (although many argue it will remain for 2021). While tonight and tomorrow night’s game will be business as usual (all games played in American League parks feature the use of the DH for both teams, and no DH at all for games held in National League parks.) The Yankees and Braves will meet again for a 2-game series in Atlanta on August 25th and 26th.
Thanks to the depth in their lineup, the Braves are one of a handful of NL squads that can prosper by using a DH. Candidates that come to mind are sluggers Marcell Ozuna ($4,400) and Adam Duvall ($4,000), and young talent Austin Riley ($4,000), who has shown some pop in his bat.
DRAFTKINGS CONTEST : Lineup tips and player salaries are for the MLB $15K mini-MAX, a 12-game contest starting at 7:05pm EST, 4:05am PT.
TV / RADIO : TV: YES, Radio: WFAN 660/101.9 FM, WADO 1280; Braves TV: FSSO; Radio: 680 AM/93.7FM The Fan, WNNX 100.5
THE WISE GUYS : The oddmakers like the Yankees in a close contest with a moneyline of New York -132 and Atlanta +122. The Over/Under is set to 10, with a consensus that it will go UNDER.
FAST FACTS :
- The Braves are 1-5 straight up in their last 6 meetings with the Yankees.
- The Braves are 2-4 straight up in their last 6 road games.
- Over/Under totals in Braves games against American League East opponents have gone UNDER in 6 of the last 9 contests.
- Atlanta is number two in MLB with 5.28 runs scored per game, just behind the Rockies at 5.50. The Yankees are 9th with 4.94 per game.
- Both the Braves (3.89) and Yankees (3.81) are just above the middle of the pack in team ERA. Cleveland leads MLB with a tidy 2.00 ERA.
BALLPARK CONDITIONS : By game-time, the temperature is expected to be 82° under partly cloudy skies with a 12mph southernly breeze, and a 15% chance of any wet stuff.
PITCHING MATCHUP : Atlanta will start righthander Dany Gilbert Kiti “Touki” Toussaint (0-0, 6.08 ERA, WHIP 1.20, $8,100), who will be making his fourth appearance in 2020. Toussaint was the 16th overall pick in the 2014 MLB Amateur Draft by the Arizona Diamondbacks. In June 2015, Arizona traded him to Atlanta (with Bronson Arroyo) for Phil Gosselin. Toussaint made his pro debut on August 13, 2018, when he spread 2 hits over innings against the Miami Marlins.
Toussaint tested positive for COVID-19 on July 4th of this year, but rejoined the team on July 18th. The team itself was hit harder than most with 4 members of the roster testing positive in early July.
Toussaint’s arsenal relies mainly on his four-seam fastball (mid-90s), an 86mph splitter and 77mph curve. He tends to get into higher pitch counts against lefty hitters, and go his 86mph slider more the deeper he gets into times around the batting order.
New York will send lefty Jordan Montgomery (1-1, 5.59 ERA, WHIP 1.35, $7,900) to the hill, looking to rebound from a shaky start against the Phillies.
YANKEES HITTING NOTES : Not one New York Yankee in tonight’s lineup has seen Toussaint, so let’s see who’s hot and who’s not. And if you’ve been following the Yankees the lately you know which list is longer.
- Who in pinstripes is hitting right-handed pitching? Who else? 2B DJ LeMahieu 20-46 for a .435BA, 2 HR, 5 RBI, ($5,100).
- OF Mike Tauchman ($3,800) is also seeing righty well — 7-20 for a .320BA, 2 doubles and 3 RBI.
- Add in 3B Gio Urshela ($4,800) with a 11-38, .280 mark with 3 HRs and 12 RBI.
- OF Aaron Judge ($6,300) is 12-47 (.255) against rightys, but loves hitting at home, where he’s launched 5 of his 8 long balls.
ATLANTA HITTING NOTES : The Braves have some decent depth on their bench and have been competitive from the start of this 60-game sprint. You can tell a team is hitting when stacking your lineup with them drains your budget!
- The home run threats on Atlanta include OF Ronald Acuna, Jr., 4, ($5,600), 1B Freddie Freeman, 3, ($5,400), OF Marcell Ozuna, 3, and 3B Austin Riley, 3.
- What Braves are crushing left-handed pitching so far in 2020? OF Adam Duvall, 7-14.
- C Travis d’Arnaud ($4,800) likes hitting on the road (5-11, 3 RBI, 1 HR) — and the ex-Met likes hitting in Yankee Stadium, as well.
- SS Dansby Swanson ($4,700) also like road cooking with a 9-31, .290 BA with 2 HRs mark.
INJURED LIST : Yankees on the IL include Aroldis Chapman and Luis Severino (elbow, out for the season), C Kyle Higashioka (right oblique strain, 10-day), Giancarlo Stanton (hamstring, 10-day) and Tommy Kahnle (forearm, out for the season, Tommy John).
ATLANTA BRAVES on the IL include P Cole Hamels (triceps, 45-Day), 1B Matt Adams (hamstring, 10-Day from 8/5), P Mike Soroka (Achilles, out for season), P Jeremy Walker (shoulder, 60-Day), 2B Ozzie Albies (wrist, 10-Day from 8/5).
IMPORTANT : Check back after the official lineups have been announced (usually by 2pm EST), and definitely double-check your DraftKings MLB fantasy line at least 15-20 minutes prior to gametime (7:05pm EST/4:05pm PT) to make sure all of your picks are starting. Good luck, and Let’s Go Yankees!
FANTASY BASEBALL STRATEGY TIPS If you’re new to daily fantasy baseball or need a quick refresher course in putting an effective lineup together, don’t miss our “How to get your DraftKings MLB groove back in 2020” article. A short but sweet tutorial on proven strategies to help position you to win some dineros!