Embed from Getty Images
Masahiro Tanaka takes the bump for the pinstripes tonight against Baltimore’s lefty sinker-baller Wade Miley.
The smart money folks in Sin City say tonight’s opener will be a somewhat tightly pitched game (considering the firepower of these lineups when they’re on) with an Over/Under of 9.5, and the New York Yankees projected to be victorious.
With the Oakland A’s doing New York a solid last night, the Red Sox lead over the Yankees is back down to 3 games.
Thursday, September 14, 2017 vs Baltimore Orioles
Key Stats At-A-Glance
Money Line : Birds +171, Yankees -181
Over/Under : 9.5
Line Moves : Late dineros coming in on New York
The Ballpark : Yankee Stadium is regarded as a hitter’s park.
Gametime Weather : 76°, isolated thunderstorms, Wind SW 8 MPH, 30% chance of rain.
• Baltimore is 1-5 in their last six games at Yankee Stadium.
• Jonathan Schoop is hitting .214, with 0 HR, 1 RBI, 0 SB in his last 7 games.
• The Over/Under has gone OVER in the last 5 games between these teams at New York.
Wade Miley ($5,600) : This season Miley has made heavy use of his sinker (at 91MPH) and four-seam fastball (at 92MPH). He also adds an 84MPH slider, cutter and a curve that usually ranges in the high 70s.
This will be Miley’s third start against New York in 2017, but the previous two were back in April, so a lot has changed since then for both him and the lineup he’ll be facing tonight. He didn’t factor in the decision on either previous start, going exactly 5 innings in both. The Yankees prevailed on April 9th, then lost on April 30th.
Bottom Line : Miley will hit the magic 100 pitch mark about the 5 inning. He’s stingy with the long ball, but does not rack up a ton of strikeouts (usually about 5 per outing). He’s won 6 of his last 8 starts, but usually get’s some backup from the O’s offense. He gave up 5 ER in each of his last two starts (at Tampa, and home versus Texas, taking a loss and no-decision respectively).
Masahiro Tanaka ($9,700) : Tanaka leans mostly on a slider and splitter that top out in the mid-to-high 80s. He also mixes in a splitter (at 88MPH), sinker, four-seam fastball and cutter (all in the low 90s) and a slow curve in the high 70s.
Tanaka has not fared well in two starts against Baltimore, but they were in April and May, and both on the road. After getting knocked around in Texas last weekend, we’re looking for a bounce back outing from him at The Stadium tonight.
Bottom Line : When he’s on, it’s look out worms! His cutter and sinker induce ground balls at an above league average rate. He gets in trouble with the long ball when his curve catches too much of the plate.
Hitters to Consider (Or Not)
- Todd Frazier ($0,000) : The Toddfather is 5-17 against Miley with one double and a home run.
- Starlin Castro ($0,000) : Castro, who showed signs of snapping out of his funk yesterday, has trouble with Miley, going 3-24, with 3 walks and 5 Ks.
- Tyler Austin ($0,000) : In tiny but encouraging numbers, Austin is 3-5 against Miley with a home run and 2 RBI..
- Manny Machado ($4,700) : The Orioles third baseman is 4-20 (.200) with a double and home run against Tanaka.
- Adam Joes ($0,000) : Jones probably sees Tanaka the best among Baltimore starters, going 6-18 (.333) with a double and a home run.
THE FINE PRINT : The fantasy lineup suggestions are purely speculation and should not be taken as gospel. Anything can and will happen in a baseball game, but this content is designed to provide a starting point for your lineup research. Best of luck, and let’s go Yankees!